Jeffrey I. Golden is a Receiver, Bankruptcy Trustee and Examiner. He is a founding partner of Weiland Golden Goodrich LLP and a former shareholder of Buchalter, Nemer, Fields & Younger. He also serves as a expert witness in federal and state criminal and civil matters.
He received his undergraduate degree from the University of California at San Diego – Revelle College in 1984, cum laude, and his law degree from the University of Southern California Law School in 1987. After graduation from law school, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Peter M. Elliott and to the Honorable Calvin K. Ashland, Judges of the United States Bankruptcy Court and the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
Mr. Golden is adjunct professor of law at the University of California, Irvine School of Law teaching bankruptcy and co-Editor-in-Chief of the California Bankruptcy Journal, a national publication. He also has lectured and written various articles regarding insolvency and commercial law matters. Mr. Golden has served as a Co-chair of Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference Lawyer Representative and is a past President of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum. Since February 2005, Mr. Golden was selected by the publishers of Los Angeles Magazine as a Super Lawyer, representing the top 5% of the practicing attorneys in Southern California.
Mr. Golden was selected to receive the OCBF’s Judge Peter M. Elliott Award for outstanding ethics, scholarship and contribution and the CDCBAA’s Judge Calvin Ashland “Trustee of the Year” Award. He also was appointed to serve on the California State Bar Client Security Fund Commission allocating millions of dollars to victims of attorney abuse. He also has been an adjunct faculty member of the University of California at Irvine Extension Program, teaching bankruptcy litigation and currently is an adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at UCI Law School. Mr. Golden is a graduate of the Straus Institute for Alternative Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law, and serves on the panel of trained mediators in bankruptcy matters for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California.
Mr. Golden engages in a variety of charitable services. He has been President of the Huntington Seacliff Elementary School PTA, active with Serving People In Need (SPIN), Laura’s House, and other local charities. Mr. Golden was also previously selected to Chair a national committee to develop family programming and family conferences for entrepreneurs for Entrepreneur Organization.
Mr. Golden concentrates his practice in the areas of business reorganization and complex receivership and bankruptcy litigation in the state and federal courts. He is available to mediate bankruptcy controversies and other commercial disputes.
- Bankruptcy, Workouts and Insolvency Matters
Professional Associations & Community Involvement
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- California Bankruptcy Forum
- Federal Bar Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Lawyer Representative
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
- Orange County Bar Association
- Professional Networks Group
- Turnaround Management Association
- Bankruptcy Pitfalls and Practice Tips, Orange County Lawyer Magazine (May 2016)
- Speaker, Busting Trusts, Orange County Bar Association Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section (March 2015)
- Panelist,Problems of Dealing with Limited Liability Company Interests, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees (2011)
- Speaker,A Cram Session on Cram Down Interest Rates, Orange County Bar Association Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section (2011)
- Who is the True Borrower? An Analysis of the Sham Guaranty Defense Reveals a Broad, Fact Intensive, and Total Defense to Deficiency Actions, California Bankruptcy Journal, Volume 32 (Number 1, 2012)
- Receivership News, A Publication of the California Receivers Forum, Receiver Profile Jeff Golden: Enriched by Mentors, Issue 47 (Spring 2013)
- Sports Team Bankruptcies: Home Runs or Strikeouts?Los Angeles Daily Journal
Recognition & Honors
- AV® Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America© list for Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum Peter M. Elliot Award
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers
University of California, San Diego (Bachelor of Arts in Political Science 1984)
University of Southern California (Juris Doctor 1987)
- California State Bar
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California